F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Jack Adams finalists
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jack Adams finalists [message #833025]
Fri, 03 May 2024 10:10 Go to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Rick Bowness, Andrew Brunette and Rick Tocchet were named finalists for the Jack Adams Award on Friday. The winner of the award, which is given annually to the top coach in the NHL as voted on by the National Broadcasters' Association.

Kris Knoblauch's record is 46-18-5 in his 69 games as an NHL head coach.
extrapolated to a full 82 games, this would be 54.5 - 21.5 - 6

Rick Bowness's record is 52-24-6 in 82 this year
Andrew Brunette's record is 47-30-5 in 82 this year
Rick Tochet's record is 50-23-9 in 82 this year

Now, I've never cared about the JA award before, but this seems like a snub to me.
Since Kris took over the bench, our boys have been the best in the league.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833026 is a reply to message #833025 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kris was Knoblauch'd b/c of the McDavid effect

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833028 is a reply to message #833025 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

I see the Oilers getting shutout of all the awards this season--expect the Hart finalists to be Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Matthews.

I'm ok with that as long as an Oiler wins the Conn Smythe.

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833030 is a reply to message #833028 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

benv wrote on Fri, 03 May 2024 14:29

Just so long as it's not the Hextall/Giguere variety.

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833137 is a reply to message #833028 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 03 May 2024 11:29

I see the Oilers getting shutout of all the awards this season--expect the Hart finalists to be Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Matthews.

Colour me surprised--it looks like the hockey writers proved me wrong.

McDavid was named one of the Hart finalists (with Kucherov and MacKinnon):

https://www.nhl.com/news/2024-nhl-hart-trophy-finalists-anno unced.

I guess with Matthews nominated for both the Lady Bying and Selke (as well as being guaranteed the Rocket Richard) he didn't need this.

I still predict McDavid will be third in voting (and that's probably not unreasonable).

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833138 is a reply to message #833137 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:54

I guess with Matthews nominated for both the Lady Bying and Selke (as well as being guaranteed the Rocket Richard) he didn't need this.

I still predict McDavid will be third in voting (and that's probably not unreasonable).

Man, Matthews is so good defensively, you would think he would play on the PK once in a while. I guess he did somehow get his first short-handed point of his career this season, maybe had to come out at the tail end of a 4 min or 5 min. Or rare 2nd unit duty when Marner is in the box.

The stat tracker for the leafs probably needs a forced replacement. Matthews just gets infinite takeaways. Also the pens one, old man Malkin has even more takeaways and seems to almost never give the puck away too.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2024 13:16]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833139 is a reply to message #833138 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 13:13

Man, Matthews is so good defensively, you would think he would play on the PK once in a while. I guess he did somehow get his first short-handed point of his career this season, maybe had to come out at the tail end of a 4 min or 5 min. Or rare 2nd unit duty when Marner is in the box.

The stat tracker for the leafs probably needs a forced replacement. Matthews just gets infinite takeaways. Also the pens one, old man Malkin has even more takeaways and seems to almost never give the puck away too.

Seriously? Selke voting?!? Without penalty killing on the resume? Interesting take. He's 14th in +/- too...so what's the rationale here? Just Toronto cabal of sports media who couldn't bear leaving him off the list on Hart so threw him a bone somewhere else?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833140 is a reply to message #833139 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 13:20

Seriously? Selke voting?!? Without penalty killing on the resume? Interesting take. He's 14th in +/- too...so what's the rationale here? Just Toronto cabal of sports media who couldn't bear leaving him off the list on Hart so threw him a bone somewhere else?

Ever heard of a stat called "Loose puck retrievals??"

He racks up takeaways too, but those stats are really hard to trust with the variance of stat keepers thresholds between arenas.

Feels like voters just out of ideas and Matthews takeaway highlights get played up a lot with TO media. Might be a lot of players with voting totals very close to Matthews. He just got over the hump for 3rd with a little "shoved down peoples throats" boost.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833141 is a reply to message #833140 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 13:27

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 13:20

Ever heard of a stat called "Loose puck retrievals??"

He racks up takeaways too, but those stats are really hard to trust with the variance of stat keepers thresholds between arenas.

Feels like voters just out of ideas and Matthews takeaway highlights get played up a lot with TO media. Might be a lot of players with voting totals very close to Matthews. He just got over the hump for 3rd with a little "shoved down peoples throats" boost.

I'm blame Bergeron. If he hadn't retired, then it's a free spot on the bingo card for the media guys. He's gone and all of a sudden they have to fill that with someone.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833029 is a reply to message #833025 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 May 2024 10:10

Rick Bowness, Andrew Brunette and Rick Tocchet were named finalists for the Jack Adams Award on Friday. The winner of the award, which is given annually to the top coach in the NHL as voted on by the National Broadcasters' Association.

Kris Knoblauch's record is 46-18-5 in his 69 games as an NHL head coach.
extrapolated to a full 82 games, this would be 54.5 - 21.5 - 6

Rick Bowness's record is 52-24-6 in 82 this year
Andrew Brunette's record is 47-30-5 in 82 this year
Rick Tochet's record is 50-23-9 in 82 this year

Now, I've never cared about the JA award before, but this seems like a snub to me.
Since Kris took over the bench, our boys have been the best in the league.

I don't really care about Jack Adam's but I do agree with you about it being a snub especially when you take into consideration Brunette being in there.

Before they went on an insane hot streak for the last couple of months of the season, Brunette's team wasn't very good and they were considered a seller in the month or so before heading into the deadline. Knoblaugh took over in early November when his team was dead last and turned them into the best team in the NHL record wise. He won 67% of his games. If the team did that over 82, that's a 55 win season. That's pretty impressive.

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833032 is a reply to message #833025 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bowness probably gets it because the hockey media loves their lifetime achievement awards and Bowness has been around a really, really long time. He's never won anything in his life - no Cups, no awards, very few games so they're going to feel that he's due.

The trophy is a bit of a joke - everyone gets to have it once if you've been around long enough. In it's entire history, there's only been 8 people to win it twice, including just one, Pat Burns, who won it three times. Because the voters are so focused on season-over-season differences - coaches who have consistently good teams don't get votes.

As for the three of them, I am not really much of a fan of either Bowness or Tocchet. Bowness is literally one of the worst coaches of all-time. Even after that tremendous season, he remains at a .439 points percentage in his over 800 NHL games behind the bench. Good on him for pulling that number up considerably this year though. He was right in the neighbourhood of Dallas Eakins (.408) going into the year.

As for Tocchet, no one wants to be coach of the year more. He's over-the-top with trying to make himself the story. Here's hoping he never gets that recognition. If the Canucks can win another game, it'll be the first time in Tocchet's seven seasons behind an NHL bench that he wins a series. He is .512 though, so ahead of Bowness for the career.

Given all that, I'm cheering for the only non-Rick...even though he has no chance against the old guy.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 May 2024 15:36]

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833034 is a reply to message #833032 ]
Fri, 03 May 2024 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Does anyone want their coach to win the jack Adams? Hasn't it been a pretty good kiss of death for a coaches current gig?

Go Tocchet!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833954 is a reply to message #833025 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This can be the de facto awards thread I guess...

The Messier award is kind of a joke, and picking Trouba as the winner just reinforces that. Even the definition of the award is kind of stupid.

Quote:

The award is given to a player selected by Hockey Hall of Fame center Mark Messier to honor an individual who leads by positive example through on-ice performance, motivation of team members and a dedication to community activities and charitable causes.

Every other award has a bunch of people helping select it and at least some kind of parameters. This one? I mean, how do you measure motivating team members? How much does charity actually impact it? I just don't get this one at all. It's basically just who does Mark Messier kind of like who hasn't already won this.

Re: Jack Adams finalists [message #833957 is a reply to message #833954 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 21:44 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Speaking of guys who haven't won it yet...Hey Mark!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBusva4hKT8

Previous Topic:Attendance issues in Winnipeg?
Next Topic:Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca