This day on May 14
None

Happy Birthday To: feepa, g2k, Oilfan In UK, Dan86, swany, Oilers000, canoilers, lmaonade, ont_oil_fan81, I'm_Topher, cliffordbaker, headpins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Connor BrownPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #830436 is a reply to message #830432 ]
Tue, 05 March 2024 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 05 March 2024 20:19

Dyl
@dhockey13
·
2h
Puljujarvi got double hip surgery AGAIN wasn’t signed for months got signed to a PTO by the Penguins and still scored a goal before Connor Brown did lmao you cannot make this "stuff" up.

https://twitter.com/dhockey13/status/1765179791370829934

No way

https://media0.giphy.com/media/wRdWCK1InCEus/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952x2hl904z00w4kccsb8gexhihh7b8ckemjmt9pmnc&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

4M of cash really doesn't go far these days

https://i.ibb.co/4WSvgLN/Connor-Brown.jpg

Just keep on playing him though, and waiving other players.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2024 20:56]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #830530 is a reply to message #830436 ]
Wed, 06 March 2024 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Connor Brown. Nothing but zeros beside his name almost every night.

It’s like he’s comfy with sucking. Won’t do ANYTHING to get noticed. Won’t hit anyone. Won’t mix it up. Most players that are sucking that bad will run someone. Run over a goalie. Chicken wing a star. Not Connor. Oh no. Steady Suckage night after night. And Gagner eats popcorn.

He’s totally content with doing nothing other than decent PK. I just don’t understand how a player can go that many games and not realize he should do something - ANYTHING - to get noticed. Wake TFU dude.

I rarely say this about players that are struggling while in the spotlight, but this man should be ashamed of himself. He’s not the problem most nights, but ffs man.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833112 is a reply to message #824838 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What happened here?

Bent over backwards to help this guy get his bonus when he was completely useless and didn't deserve it. Now he doesn't even touch the ice in the playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833129 is a reply to message #833112 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 08:53

What happened here?

Bent over backwards to help this guy get his bonus when he was completely useless and didn't deserve it. Now he doesn't even touch the ice in the playoffs.

He'll be back in the lineup tomorrow night as Henrique is nursing something

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833133 is a reply to message #833129 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 11:56

What happened here?

Here's hoping he brings his A-Game! Jason Gregor had that whole stance that he was also almost another trade deadline acquisition because he finally got a couple goals in March. He got way out there on that branch and could really use a life line from CB here!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833135 is a reply to message #833133 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:20

What happened here?

Here's hoping he brings his A-Game! Jason Gregor had that whole stance that he was also almost another trade deadline acquisition because he finally got a couple goals in March. He got way out there on that branch and could really use a life line from CB here!

Ah yes, beautiful silver linings. Guys that took up a roster spot all season long and became a 3M cap hit on your next year roster are like deadline adds because they became not useless for a couple weeks.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833149 is a reply to message #833135 ]
Tue, 07 May 2024 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 12:28

What happened here?

Ah yes, beautiful silver linings. Guys that took up a roster spot all season long and became a 3M cap hit on your next year roster are like deadline adds because they became not useless for a couple weeks.

That 1st for reek/carrik trade not exactly looking like a steal here either. Its impossible to overstate how this team will look if they lose 29.
Better get it done this year or come really close

[Updated on: Tue, 07 May 2024 20:18]

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833160 is a reply to message #833149 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 07 May 2024 20:17

What happened here?

That 1st for reek/carrik trade not exactly looking like a steal here either. Its impossible to overstate how this team will look if they lose 29.

Matheson was talking about this yesterday and how it looks probable that none of our deadline day acquisitions will be in the lineup for Game 1 against the Canucks. His conclusion was that deadline deals are really tough to do, rather than that we didn't target impact players.

To be fair to Holland, I don't think he got Stecher planning on using him much - just for injury back-up, and as a 4th line C, Carrick is a changeable part. Still, seeing Guentzel knock home a couple for Carolina last night, I can't help but think there were better uses for that 1st round pick and that maybe Ol' Jim's conclusion is well, simple-minded.

Hopefully it's all enough though and we keep rolling!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833161 is a reply to message #833160 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 09:38

What happened here?

Matheson was talking about this yesterday and how it looks probable that none of our deadline day acquisitions will be in the lineup for Game 1 against the Canucks. His conclusion was that deadline deals are really tough to do, rather than that we didn't target impact players.

To be fair to Holland, I don't think he got Stecher planning on using him much - just for injury back-up, and as a 4th line C, Carrick is a changeable part. Still, seeing Guentzel knock home a couple for Carolina last night, I can't help but think there were better uses for that 1st round pick and that maybe Ol' Jim's conclusion is well, simple-minded.

I'm not upset about Stecher. The Oilers did need a serviceable JAG as a #7 defenseman. That one is fine because players get injured... which is why I'm fine with Henrique. He's been good enough. Sure, Guentzel might have been better but decisions are made and players get injured.

I don't know why Carrick was the guy they needed and I don't know what Brown does. That there being used shows why 5th line depth is important. Many Carrick and Brown are the best 13 and 14F available, but I think the Oilers ended up with a low bar. Hopefully they don't play enough to matter.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833164 is a reply to message #833161 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 09:51

What happened here?

I'm not upset about Stecher. The Oilers did need a serviceable JAG as a #7 defenseman. That one is fine because players get injured... which is why I'm fine with Henrique. He's been good enough. Sure, Guentzel might have been better but decisions are made and players get injured.

I don't know why Carrick was the guy they needed and I don't know what Brown does. That there being used shows why 5th line depth is important. Many Carrick and Brown are the best 13 and 14F available, but I think the Oilers ended up with a low bar. Hopefully they don't play enough to matter.

They needed another right hand center. Before the trade, they only had Ryan who I like him but I don't think he can be your every day 4th line center for a playoff run. He looks good in spurts but at his age and size, I think wears out.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833179 is a reply to message #833161 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 15:49 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 09:51

What happened here?

Honestly, the biggest miss was an upgrade at RD to push Ceci out of the every day lineup (and possibly out of the roster entirely if we also got Stecher). I think the Oilers have too long accepted a black hole of a fourth line, but we weren't likely to be able to fully fix that at the deadline - we really need a new GM for that.

I would have really liked another top 6 winger too (and a goalie) but those were likely secondary to the defenceman on the wishlist. Henrique is fine...but underwhelming. He's being played as a top-6 winger though, and it's worth noting there were several other options for similar prices that may have been better as a winger playing with Connor McDavid - including Guentzel.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833163 is a reply to message #833160 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This will be unpopular with some but I have zero problems with the deadline additions of the Oilers.

I didn't think the Oilers needed to spend significant assets on a player like a Guentzel. Going into the deadline, I felt they had 5 for sure top 6 players which a good mixture of skill sets.

- McD brings the extreme speed and skill to attack teams.
- Leon brings extreme skill with the ability to play a heavier, slow it down, down low game if needed. He's good on draws, can play both special teams and play multiple positions, plus a decent skater.
- Nuge brings a combination of good skill, decent skating, 2 way play, plays both special teams, can shoot a bit and plays multiple positions.
- Hyman is the go to the net, bang in rebounds, great in the corners guy who has skill, skates well and OK in his own zone.
- Kane is the big, nasty, physical, take it to the alley if needed which can happen in the playoffs, winger who skates decent, has good hands, is a shooter, goes to the net.

So I thought Henrique was the ideal addition to the top 9. He's an all around, top 6 guy. He's score over 20 goals 7 times and would have for sure an 8th time as he has 19 in the covid short year. He had 24 this year so he can score some. He's a smart, good in his own end guy which helps McD when he's running and gunning. He can play multiple positions. So if McD gets tossed, he can step in and win you a draw or if a center goes down he can step in. Can play on both special teams but good on the PK. He's also got a style of game where if he does drop in the lines, his game translate well to the bottom 6 as well as the top.

While looking cool to be in the Oilers top 6, I didn't see bringing in another gunner who won't get PP time with the Oilers, only plays 1 position, granted he does it well, but I feel to go far in the playoffs, you need a ton of roster flexibility because guys will get banged up. So a guy like Guentzel, in my opinion, fits in with a team lacking high end scorers like Carolina but for the Oilers, doesn't fill the all around player they needed to add depth to their line up who in a tight game, late in the 3rd, you are fine with him on the ice protecting a lead vs Guentzel who's not known for defense, might not get out there.

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833168 is a reply to message #833163 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 10:05

This will be unpopular with some but I have zero problems with the deadline additions of the Oilers.

I didn't think the Oilers needed to spend significant assets on a player like a Guentzel. Going into the deadline, I felt they had 5 for sure top 6 players which a good mixture of skill sets.

- Leon brings extreme skill with the ability to play a heavier, slow it down, down low game if needed. He's good on draws, can play both special teams and play multiple positions, plus a decent skater.
- Nuge brings a combination of good skill, decent skating, 2 way play, plays both special teams, can shoot a bit and plays multiple positions.
- Hyman is the go to the net, bang in rebounds, great in the corners guy who has skill, skates well and OK in his own zone.
- Kane is the big, nasty, physical, take it to the alley if needed which can happen in the playoffs, winger who skates decent, has good hands, is a shooter, goes to the net.

So I thought Henrique was the ideal addition to the top 9. He's an all around, top 6 guy. He's score over 20 goals 7 times and would have for sure an 8th time as he has 19 in the covid short year. He had 24 this year so he can score some. He's a smart, good in his own end guy which helps McD when he's running and gunning. He can play multiple positions. So if McD gets tossed, he can step in and win you a draw or if a center goes down he can step in. Can play on both special teams but good on the PK. He's also got a style of game where if he does drop in the lines, his game translate well to the bottom 6 as well as the top.

While looking cool to be in the Oilers top 6, I didn't see bringing in another gunner who won't get PP time with the Oilers, only plays 1 position, granted he does it well, but I feel to go far in the playoffs, you need a ton of roster flexibility because guys will get banged up. So a guy like Guentzel, in my opinion, fits in with a team lacking high end scorers like Carolina but for the Oilers, doesn't fill the all around player they needed to add depth to their line up who in a tight game, late in the 3rd, you are fine with him on the ice protecting a lead vs Guentzel who's not known for defense, might not get out there.

I am not sure why that would be an unpopular take?

Past history has shown that teams who dramatically change up their core or add a significant piece at the deadline usually lose. The Oilers needed depth and versatility throughout the lineup. Maybe if we were missing scoring and had an overabundance of cap space, but depth was the need. ✅

Re: Oilers sign Connor Brown [message #833172 is a reply to message #833168 ]
Wed, 08 May 2024 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 11:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2024 10:05

I am not sure why that would be an unpopular take?

Past history has shown that teams who dramatically change up their core or add a significant piece at the deadline usually lose. The Oilers needed depth and versatility throughout the lineup. Maybe if we were missing scoring and had an overabundance of cap space, but depth was the need. ✅

Because there was a lot of fans thinking we should have traded for Guentzel and felt "wasting" assets on Henrique was stupid. Plus I saw on twitter Oilers fans complaining we didn't get Guentzel because he scored 2 goals last night in a loss and ignoring he hasn't done much for the Canes.

I thought Henrique wasn't a sexy pick up but he was a smart pick up. He's does lots of things that help the Oilers, he's versitile and just a good hockey player but he's not flashy.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Next Topic:WCSF - VAN (D1) vs. EDM (D2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca