This day on June 10
Acquired: Grant Fuhr (1981) Marc Habscheid (1981) Gord Sherven (1981) Steve Smith (1981) Todd Strueby (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Oil4ever, brats647, b.anthony

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833895 is a reply to message #833892 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:12

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 15:55

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 14:47

No matter what happens with Pickard or our goaltending in general, hope people know who the real culprit is in forcing Knob to make this decision.

Holland left us with the goalie that melted down last playoffs, a $5M goalie that melted down 2 years in a row plus struggled to find any footing in the AHL this year, and Calvin Pickard.

I think almost everyone in this forum foresaw a strong possibility that what has happened in these playoffs now would happen. Holland chose to just sit back and hope things would just work out for him in his last year of his $25,000,000 contract. In this season the whole org knew is crucial for the future of Drai and McDavid here. Just hopes the prayers from our lazy GM.

Who's the goalie the Oilers should have brought in? This isn't me sticking up for Old man Holland, I just see the same thing. So let's see a name.

As an example, I can't remember every trade that happened this year, but the only goaltender I can recall moving was Allen and Kahkonen. Do you think the Oilers should have out bid the Devils for Allen?

I am not looking for doubling down on Holland sucks. I am completely aware of your opinion on the guy and his short comings. I deal in solutions. So who's the goalie the Oilers should have got?

Let's keep in mind:
- Flames ownership stopped a trade of Markstrom because they wanted to keep him to stay in the hunt. So he's off the table.
- Preds weren't trading Saros because he got them to the playoffs.
- Fleury (who I never wanted, he's old and not good) stated he wasn't waiving his NMC.
- Mrazek got resigned.

Pay me $5M a year so I can quit my job and I'll take the time to come up with all kinds of options to fix obvious gaping holes in the lineup.

Or we can pay Holland $5M a year to do nothing. Oh wait, already did that.

Seriously though, what's available out there, and what moves can be made, much of that will never be known to fans. That's Holland's job to be out there looking and trying to fix his lineup. I doubt he even tried this year with goaltending. He clearly believed Skinner and Campbell would both bounce back. Half a disaster happened in the regular season with Campbell being barely functional. Now Skinner is looking beat as well.

So your answer to my question is to complain about Holland some more rather than give a name. I don't need to make 5 mill to be able to list off 4 guys that weren't available that everyone in the hockey world talked about all this past season. I just read a couple of things.

I don't have to give names. And you know as little as any of the rest of us do about what was possible.

All I know is that our GM failed miserably again and his failure was sadly very predictable. Most here done a much better job than you at predicting how this playoffs would go with the super obvious issues with the team smacking us all in the face again. Just blind faith and asking people what they would have done has lead you to almost no conclusions that have played out.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833896 is a reply to message #833895 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:25

No matter what happens with Pickard or our goaltending in general, hope people know who the real culprit is in forcing Knob to make this decision.

Holland left us with the goalie that melted down last playoffs, a $5M goalie that melted down 2 years in a row plus struggled to find any footing in the AHL this year, and Calvin Pickard.

I think almost everyone in this forum foresaw a strong possibility that what has happened in these playoffs now would happen. Holland chose to just sit back and hope things would just work out for him in his last year of his $25,000,000 contract. In this season the whole org knew is crucial for the future of Drai and McDavid here. Just hopes the prayers from our lazy GM.

Who's the goalie the Oilers should have brought in? This isn't me sticking up for Old man Holland, I just see the same thing. So let's see a name.

As an example, I can't remember every trade that happened this year, but the only goaltender I can recall moving was Allen and Kahkonen. Do you think the Oilers should have out bid the Devils for Allen?

I am not looking for doubling down on Holland sucks. I am completely aware of your opinion on the guy and his short comings. I deal in solutions. So who's the goalie the Oilers should have got?

Let's keep in mind:
- Flames ownership stopped a trade of Markstrom because they wanted to keep him to stay in the hunt. So he's off the table.
- Fleury (who I never wanted, he's old and not good) stated he wasn't waiving his NMC.
- Mrazek got resigned.

Pay me $5M a year so I can quit my job and I'll take the time to come up with all kinds of options to fix obvious gaping holes in the lineup.

Seriously though, what's available out there, and what moves can be made, much of that will never be known to fans. That's Holland's job to be out there looking and trying to fix his lineup. I doubt he even tried this year with goaltending. He clearly believed Skinner and Campbell would both bounce back. Half a disaster happened in the regular season with Campbell being barely functional. Now Skinner is looking beat as well.

So your answer to my question is to complain about Holland some more rather than give a name. I don't need to make 5 mill to be able to list off 4 guys that weren't available that everyone in the hockey world talked about all this past season. I just read a couple of things.

I don't have to give names. And you know as little as any of the rest of us do about what was possible.

All I know is that our GM failed miserably again and his failure was sadly very predictable. Most here done a much better job than you at predicting how this playoffs would go with the super obvious issues with the team smacking us all in the face again. Just blind faith and asking people what they would have done has lead you to almost no conclusions that have played out.

So you have information that shows the Oilers did nothing in the goaltending department? I am not talking your bias opinion, I am talking legit proof.

The Devils were a 112 pt team last year and this season they had 81 pts. From about 5 games in, they needed a goalie and all they could get was Allen and Kahkonen, 2 guys they could only get at the deadline who aren't very good and they missed the playoffs by a lot because of it.

So you know for sure, there was goalies to be had, they Oilers were just too lazy or stupid to get them. I am not arguing with you about the goaltending being a potential problem that could crush the Oilers but I just am not a fan of nonsensical rants about things that have no available solution.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833901 is a reply to message #833896 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:33

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

So you have information that shows the Oilers did nothing in the goaltending department? I am not talking your bias opinion, I am talking legit proof.

The Devils were a 112 pt team last year and this season they had 81 pts. From about 5 games in, they needed a goalie and all they could get was Allen and Kahkonen, 2 guys they could only get at the deadline who aren't very good and they missed the playoffs by a lot because of it.

So you know for sure, there was goalies to be had, they Oilers were just too lazy or stupid to get them. I am not arguing with you about the goaltending being a potential problem that could crush the Oilers but I just am not a fan of nonsensical rants about things that have no available solution.

You know what? Good GMs find a way to address the glaring holes in their lineup. It's not always going to be easy, but it's a pretty important part of the job.

If you are the highest paid general manager in the league and you have two of the top five players in the world, and the window to win before one or both is rapidly closing, then you can't just go "well, I checked Capfriendly and it doesn't look like there's any great UFAs so I guess we're done here."

And this isn't a one-year problem for Holland anyhow. This is his ENTIRE five years here that goaltending has been a gaping hole. He signed Smith as one of his first moves, despite Smith coming off a dreadful season in Calgary and kept Koskinen who his predecessor had bizarrely been allowed to keep in place. When that tandem failed...he did more of the same and kept them together for the whole first three years of his time here. He had Skinner in the minors who the Oilers tagged as goalie of the future (although I'd suggest there were some challenges even then and I thought he looked awful in his first NHL appearances). Despite the problems there, he didn't bother to ever upgrade while those two were options and in the end, Mike Smith was ridiculously bad in the 2022 playoffs leading to a quick exit versus Colorado (who had competent goaltending from Kuemper who, oh yeah, WAS one of the many goalies who became available in the period where he was busy signing Mike Smith to extensions).

Mike Smith gets...uhhh...injured, and Koskinen's contract runs out and we go and blow our brains out to sign a goalie that Toronto didn't even try to re-sign, preferring to ink the shell of Matt Murray as their guy instead. This is a guy who everyone knew tied himself in emotional knots during down spells and who it takes about 30 seconds of scouting to know he's erratic and unpredictable in goal. And we didn't just gamble one year on him - we gave him a giant 5-year contract. Not only did he now receive big money to ride AHL buses this year, but if Holland's successor decides to buy him out, we have substantial cap penalties for the next SIX years. He also quietly added Calvin Pickard at the same time to man the AHL crease for the team.

With Campbell melting down in his very first season here, the Oilers threw everything behind a rookie goalie, gave him a three-year extension before that rookie season was even half over, and then watched him completely self-destruct in the playoffs, costing us yet another valuable year while we try to prove to our two true superstars that we're really serious about winning here.

After all that and knowing how critical this year was and how big our goalie issues last year were, Holland decided his time and effort were better spent elsewhere.

Not, of course, on bolstering the defence that also looked a little shaky in last year's post-season, but rather by scoring the true coup of the summer - bringing on Connor Brown on an easy-to-achieve incentive-laden contract. After that, he quickly signed Bouchard to a "show-me" bridge deal so that his expiration lined up nicely with Draisaitl's and then headed off to the cabin to celebrate a full summer's work secure in knowing that the goaltending problem was finally solved, ironically with the same answer he gave the prior year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833906 is a reply to message #833901 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 19:24 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 17:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:33

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

You know what? Good GMs find a way to address the glaring holes in their lineup. It's not always going to be easy, but it's a pretty important part of the job.

If you are the highest paid general manager in the league and you have two of the top five players in the world, and the window to win before one or both is rapidly closing, then you can't just go "well, I checked Capfriendly and it doesn't look like there's any great UFAs so I guess we're done here."

And this isn't a one-year problem for Holland anyhow. This is his ENTIRE five years here that goaltending has been a gaping hole. He signed Smith as one of his first moves, despite Smith coming off a dreadful season in Calgary and kept Koskinen who his predecessor had bizarrely been allowed to keep in place. When that tandem failed...he did more of the same and kept them together for the whole first three years of his time here. He had Skinner in the minors who the Oilers tagged as goalie of the future (although I'd suggest there were some challenges even then and I thought he looked awful in his first NHL appearances). Despite the problems there, he didn't bother to ever upgrade while those two were options and in the end, Mike Smith was ridiculously bad in the 2022 playoffs leading to a quick exit versus Colorado (who had competent goaltending from Kuemper who, oh yeah, WAS one of the many goalies who became available in the period where he was busy signing Mike Smith to extensions).

Mike Smith gets...uhhh...injured, and Koskinen's contract runs out and we go and blow our brains out to sign a goalie that Toronto didn't even try to re-sign, preferring to ink the shell of Matt Murray as their guy instead. This is a guy who everyone knew tied himself in emotional knots during down spells and who it takes about 30 seconds of scouting to know he's erratic and unpredictable in goal. And we didn't just gamble one year on him - we gave him a giant 5-year contract. Not only did he now receive big money to ride AHL buses this year, but if Holland's successor decides to buy him out, we have substantial cap penalties for the next SIX years. He also quietly added Calvin Pickard at the same time to man the AHL crease for the team.

With Campbell melting down in his very first season here, the Oilers threw everything behind a rookie goalie, gave him a three-year extension before that rookie season was even half over, and then watched him completely self-destruct in the playoffs, costing us yet another valuable year while we try to prove to our two true superstars that we're really serious about winning here.

After all that and knowing how critical this year was and how big our goalie issues last year were, Holland decided his time and effort were better spent elsewhere.

Not, of course, on bolstering the defence that also looked a little shaky in last year's post-season, but rather by scoring the true coup of the summer - bringing on Connor Brown on an easy-to-achieve incentive-laden contract. After that, he quickly signed Bouchard to a "show-me" bridge deal so that his expiration lined up nicely with Draisaitl's and then headed off to the cabin to celebrate a full summer's work secure in knowing that the goaltending problem was finally solved, ironically with the same answer he gave the prior year.

Well said. Really nothing more needs to be said and the results speak for themselves. Trying to defend Holland and basically any Oilers manager since Katz bought the team by saying "what moves would YOU have done???? You don't have the answers!!!!" is pretty ridiculous, especially while Katz has probably been milked $100M+ by now paying for some of the worst managers the league has seen, various OBC and hockey Canada bros and their friends and family.

Anyone that can't acknowledge what a terrible job these guys have done as they waste the primes of multiple great players and a generational talent has their head in the sand.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833893 is a reply to message #833889 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

Allen and Kahkonen and one of the guys from Buffalo and you give Oliver a look and you bring Campbell back up later in the year and you get someone else in the minors just in case. Remember, when Adin Hill won a Cup he was Vegas' 5th goalie that year. That doesn't include Lehner who is off on his snake farm, Fluery who they dumped, or Grubbauer who they let go.

When you're trying to win a Stanley cup you can't leave yourself without an answer in net.

I don't even mind that Pickard is one of the potential answers, he's in the Allen, Kahkonen, random Buffalo guy zone. He just can't be the second goalie and the goalie of last resort. The fact that Oliver isn't up here is outrageous.

Edit: Grubby was Colorado. I was thinking of Broissoit.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2024 16:17]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833894 is a reply to message #833893 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:15

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

Allen and Kahkonen and one of the guys from Buffalo and you give Oliver a look and you bring Campbell back up later in the year and you get someone else in the minors just in case. Remember, when Adin Hill won a Cup he was Vegas' 5th goalie that year. That doesn't include Lehner who is off on his snake farm, Fluery who they dumped, or Grubbauer who they let go.

When you're trying to win a Stanley cup you can't leave yourself without an answer in net.

I don't even mind that Pickard is one of the potential answers, he's in the Allen, Kahkonen, random Buffalo guy zone. He just can't be the second goalie and the goalie of last resort. The fact that Oliver isn't up here is outrageous.

I agree, you need goaltending options.

Maybe you disagree with me but I don't think Allen or Kahkonen are better than the 2 guys the Oilers have now. Just my personal opinion. I am basing that opinion on the numbers they put up and the results they produced for their teams. Maybe if they came to the Oilers, they could have played above what they have shown over the years but I have no way of knowing that.

Buffalo guys, who? Luukkonen is young, inexperienced but looks like he will be their guy. The other guy listed on their roster right now is Comrie. I don't know much about him but I looked at his numbers and they aren't very good. I think the other guy was Levi, he's 22, extremely inexperiences and his numbers were really bad in the NHL but they could get better, he's just super young.

So you wanted Comrie?

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833898 is a reply to message #833894 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:22

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

Maybe you disagree with me but I don't think Allen or Kahkonen are better than the 2 guys the Oilers have now. Just my personal opinion. I am basing that opinion on the numbers they put up and the results they produced for their teams. Maybe if they came to the Oilers, they could have played above what they have shown over the years but I have no way of knowing that.

Buffalo guys, who? Luukkonen is young, inexperienced but looks like he will be their guy. The other guy listed on their roster right now is Comrie. I don't know much about him but I looked at his numbers and they aren't very good. I think the other guy was Levi, he's 22, extremely inexperiences and his numbers were really bad in the NHL but they could get better, he's just super young.

So you wanted Comrie?

Funny, to me, that you claim numbers for not liking Allen or Kahkonen but you seem to have a total disregard for some of us using numbers to show Skinner being the worst performing post-season goalie in the salary cap era. Of which, he is, evidenced by numbers.

You’re also just putting words in other mouths, by “solutioning” to whom you deem was available.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833904 is a reply to message #833898 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 19:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 16:22

Let's keep in mind:
- Mrazek got resigned.

So you wanted Comrie?

Funny, to me, that you claim numbers for not liking Allen or Kahkonen but you seem to have a total disregard for some of us using numbers to show Skinner being the worst performing post-season goalie in the salary cap era. Of which, he is, evidenced by numbers.

You’re also just putting words in other mouths, by “solutioning” to whom you deem was available.

RDO - what do you think of the decision to start Pickard?

Personally I think it’s the right call, regardless of outcome. If he does well, he goes again. He sucks, you go back to Skinner.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833887 is a reply to message #833846 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Missed the last game, which I'm kind of glad I did.

Hoping we can finally get one of those feel-good goalie stories out of Pickard. Wished he would have played that last game against Colorado.
Hopefully it's more about the team in front of him waking up than it is about him.

Not that he needs to, but McDavid going total beast mode making them pay for their discretions would be amazing tonight.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833888 is a reply to message #833846 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Stating Pickard is an awful decision.

The team isn't winning anything long term without Skinner front and center.

Seems like the team caved to media/fan narritives about goaltending.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833891 is a reply to message #833888 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 15:54

Stating Pickard is an awful decision.

The team isn't winning anything long term without Skinner front and center.

Seems like the team caved to media/fan narritives about goaltending.

By the middle of the 2nd round last year, Skinner was completely defeated. Guy could barely move to try to make a save. Vegas players just skating around him like he was a pylon and putting stuff in.

No one knows what's going on in that room, but if he is in that state he was last playoffs, I can't see how you start him. It was a huge mistake by Woody last year to just keep letting him sink further and further.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833902 is a reply to message #833846 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Fun twitter thread: https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1790412822653899043? s=31

Quote:

JFresh
@JFreshHockey
media scouting report based on sweeping generalizations

Vancouver media:
- loves canucks
- loves canucks fans
- hates oilers
- hates oilers fans
- hates refs

Edmonton media:
- loves ken holland
- hates canucks fans
- hates oilers fans

*sweeping generalization*

Van media has a massive chip on its shoulder re: the rest of the league and the Eastern Media™ disrespecting the Canucks

Edm media has a chip on its shoulder about fans who think they know better than the coaches and management

*sweeping generalization*

Van media: only Canucks fans are qualified to talk about this team. nobody else has ever watched a canucks game due to bed time

Edm media: only beat reporters and people who won a cup in the 1980s are qualified to talk about this team

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #833905 is a reply to message #833846 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Serenity .. starting.. right............. Now!!

GO OIL!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/53/9c/c2539c2558f8f0c4a09529ce80824896.gif

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2024 19:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca