This day on June 8
Acquired: Jeff Beukeboom (1983) John Miner (1983) Esa Tikkanen (1983)

Happy Birthday To: Alzz, LFC05, TheOneWhoKnocks

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833765]
Mon, 13 May 2024 08:54 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

What is happening with NHL refereeing? Honestly?

I've seen it degrade over time, but it is at a level of incompetence that is just absurd now.

That McDavid attack from the back and to the face with two nasty cross checks are a direct result of the Canucks being given free rein to cross check the Oilers all game last night. The amount that were dished out by Miller, in particular, was insane. They got away with it so many times (even right in front of the ref). Absurd. If McDavid was injured on that play, I'd be firing those refs on the spot. Immediately. GTFO and you're banned from reffing anything, including pee wee hockey.

As an aside, HOW in the hell does Florida get away with that Bennett tying goal? He literally throws the Boston player right on top of his goalie and take them both out of the play, and then slides the puck into a gaping cage. That literally blew my mind. That's one of the worst calls I think I've ever seen.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833769 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 08:54

I've seen it degrade over time, but it is at a level of incompetence that is just absurd now.

That McDavid attack from the back and to the face with two nasty cross checks are a direct result of the Canucks being given free rein to cross check the Oilers all game last night. The amount that were dished out by Miller, in particular, was insane. They got away with it so many times (even right in front of the ref). Absurd. If McDavid was injured on that play, I'd be firing those refs on the spot. Immediately. GTFO and you're banned from reffing anything, including pee wee hockey.

As an aside, HOW in the hell does Florida get away with that Bennett tying goal? He literally throws the Boston player right on top of his goalie and take them both out of the play, and then slides the puck into a gaping cage. That literally blew my mind. That's one of the worst calls I think I've ever seen.

Hey, Soucy got a two-minute minor. I'm sure he's sufficiently chastened.

Will be interesting to see how Parros handles this. I'm sure he loves it - big guy on star player violence is a favourite of his - but there seems to be significant media pressure to suspend here.

NHL media can be stupid - the argument that Bennett's suckerpunch was okay because Marchand has done a lot of mean stuff over the years is inane - a suspensionable play should be a suspensionable play no matter who it was committed against - but when they beat the drum loudly it sometimes makes a difference and I'm reading multiple non-Edmonton reporters saying that you have to suspend that. Only question really is which one gets it - my money is on Soucy, and only a single game.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833770 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Will say, this league does make it really easy to not take it too seriously.

It's super disappointing that we are on pace to waste the prime of a generational talent, while also having Drai. But can always remember the NHL is a joke of a league.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833771 is a reply to message #833770 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Sounds like there will be a hearing for Carson Soucy out of the end-of-game scrum in Edmonton last night

Breaking news...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833773 is a reply to message #833771 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:05

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Sounds like there will be a hearing for Carson Soucy out of the end-of-game scrum in Edmonton last night

Breaking news...

They will let him off because Zadorov made McDavid's face go into the stick. And of course Zadorov will have no hearing.

Well played NHL, well played.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833775 is a reply to message #833773 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:13

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Breaking news...

They will let him off because Zadorov made McDavid's face go into the stick. And of course Zadorov will have no hearing.

Yup. McDavid slashed Soucy and then fell into Soucy's crosscheck teeth first. Mitigating factor.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833776 is a reply to message #833775 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:16

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:13

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Breaking news...

Yup. McDavid slashed Soucy and then fell into Soucy's crosscheck teeth first. Mitigating factor.

Parros already knows how this turns into no suspension before the hearing even happens.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833779 is a reply to message #833776 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia is currently online Leia

No Cups

Zadorov fined $5000 for the cross check, maximum amount possible. It's such a nonsense amount in this day and age, it should be something that hurts them finacially or/and a suspension.

Take me home, country road
to the place where I belong
to Alberta, to see the Oilers
take me home, country road

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833774 is a reply to message #833771 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

Breaking news...

I have more of an issue with what Zadorov did. McDavid and Soucy were already engaged in an angry stick fight. Zadorov came in an absolutely crumpled McDavid from behind with a cross check.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833780 is a reply to message #833774 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NHL fined Zadorov 5K, the max for his cross check on McD. So nothing.

It's playoffs, I would want that to happen all day long if I am the Canucks. Internally, you find away to pay Zad's fine for him. Go tell him to show up at a fast food joint with your jersey on for 5 mins as a public relations thing and slip him 5K for his time.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833782 is a reply to message #833780 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:41

It's playoffs, I would want that to happen all day long if I am the Canucks. Internally, you find away to pay Zad's fine for him. Go tell him to show up at a fast food joint with your jersey on for 5 mins as a public relations thing and slip him 5K for his time.

This is what the 50/50 is for! Gotta support the Oilers community foundation. Everyone wins, right?

Zadorov getting a fine is going to bug me most of all. I wonder if they're going to fine McDavid for his slash.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833789 is a reply to message #833782 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:45

This is what the 50/50 is for! Gotta support the Oilers community foundation. Everyone wins, right?

Zadorov getting a fine is going to bug me most of all. I wonder if they're going to fine McDavid for his slash.

Totally. Go have him hand out a donation cheque to a Van charity and magically 5K in cash is on his locker.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833794 is a reply to message #833789 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Canucks fans are next level and I find them kind of disgusting.

I'm actually seeing Van fans AND media people taking about how it was justified on McD. I have seen tons whining about the missed highstick on Hughes. They are right, it should have been called. It wasn't intentional. McD was turning, Hughes was there at the exact moment his stick came up. Regardless, it should have been a call. But McD wasn't trying to cut Hughes on purpose.

Zadorov on purpose came up behind McD to drill him in the back. It wasn't a bang bang play. He skated up and tried to hurt McD.

Did McD slash Soucy in the I think shin pad? You bet. That probably happens a 100 times a game. Guys are battling, they hack eachother. He didn't try to tomahawk chop Soucy over the arm to try and break it like Petrangelo did. He didn't try to hack him in the back of the knee with no padding. He hit him in the shin pad and I bet Soucy wouldn't have known if it didn't make a sound.

Soucy's response. I am not going to slash you back, I am going to raise my stick in the air and cross check you high and it got him in the face. He could knock teeth out, break his jaw, hit him in the throat, give him a concession. All serious injury. McD hacked his shin pad and worst case, maybe Soucy gets a red mark.

I am an Oilers fans so of course I side with me team. But if an Oiler drilled a guy in the face with his stick in purpose, as much as I wouldn't like him getting suspended, I can recognize that was a dirty, dangerous play that warrants punishment because that isn't hockey. That's trying to seriously hurt someone.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833795 is a reply to message #833782 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

I could see soucy getting a game.

Nurse will get one too for his cross check to even it up.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833796 is a reply to message #833795 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am a guy at loves playoff hockey because the hockey is way more physical and way more intense. So I don't want every ticky tack penalty called but I feel like these playoffs have been some of the worst officiated hockey I have seen in awhile and it's getting out of control.

The inconsistencies are as bad as it gets. I lost count the amount of cross checks that happened in the first period, then NUrse gets that call that results in a PP goal. The entire Sportsnet panel thought it was awful. EVEN BIEKSA who's a big time Canuck alum.

Not just this series. Bennett drills Marchand with a cheap shot that takes him out of the game 4 and I don't think it was called. On the game tying goal, he drills the Bruin guy in the back making him fall on his goalie so he can fire it it. The hockey doesn't even look like hockey at times anymore.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833806 is a reply to message #833795 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Jay wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 10:32

Nurse will get one too for his cross check to even it up.

..plus a 3rd round draft pick

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833797 is a reply to message #833782 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So while I agree that in reality the Zadorov piece is the most dangerous, I do like what the tea leaves suggest at this stage. Since Zadorov got fined, I think it's safe to say that Soucy is NOT just getting fined. I expect a single game, because it's still the NHL and Parros and they're ridiculously soft on crime, especially against the game's star players. But it's still not nothing and it weakens them for next game putting their 7th dman in for their 4th or 5th best guy.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833805 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 07:54

In retrospect.. how does Bennet get away without a 3+ game suspension for punching Marchand in the face (see clip) .. I'm not a fan of Marchand.. but he is one of Bruins top players and was put out that game and next with a head injury.. Parros/NHL did nothing? .. they didn't even investigate..

You can see Bennet's sucker punch clear as day here..
https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1789790804782776508

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2024 15:01]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833807 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 07:54

The guy to blame was Rooney.. he let Vancouver cross check at will all night.. then call Oilers for weak ones.. Oilers couldn't retaliate and it caused a game imbalance.. if you call equally the dirty crap goes away.. which I don't feel was Rooney's mission.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833809 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

One game for Soucy

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/17901235464269418 96

Surprised Parros cares that much. As much as skating 1/4 the rink and lumberjack chopping a player on the wrist after the play.

Blood boils watching Zadorov's cheap shot over and over. Turns out Hyman actually gets Zadorov back with a cross check to his face and Zadorov needed stitches. That's nice at least.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2024 15:29]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833810 is a reply to message #833809 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:25

One game for Soucy

Surprised Parros cares that much. As much as skating 1/4 the rink and lumberjack chopping a player on the wrist after the play.

Blood boils watching Zadorov's cheap shot over and over. Turns out Hyman actually gets Zadorov back with a cross check to his face and Zadorov needed stitches. That's nice at least.

That does make me feel a little better. The Zadorov stitches, not the 1 gamer. I wouldn't have wanted to trade Zadorov and Hyman suspensions.

One game is... fine. I think it's the wrong guy but playoff hockey is like that. I don't think we're going to like Noah Juulsen anymore than Soucy though.

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833811 is a reply to message #833810 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:39

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:25

One game for Soucy

That does make me feel a little better. The Zadorov stitches, not the 1 gamer. I wouldn't have wanted to trade Zadorov and Hyman suspensions.

One game is... fine. I think it's the wrong guy but playoff hockey is like that. I don't think we're going to like Noah Juulsen anymore than Soucy though.

Yeah, it's not a very consequential player and an easy guy for DoPS to pick out of the pile.

Guess gotta be happy as well that McDavid is OK. Nasty cheap shot cross check into the lower back and cross check in the jaw. He seemed fine talking to the media today.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833829 is a reply to message #833765 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Soucy lucky to get only 1 game..
Different view .. that's ass-clown zadorov in the back..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNeJ9GfbwAAxI3H?format=png&name=240x240

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2024 19:16]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833834 is a reply to message #833829 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 19:08

Looks like he’s in a guillotine, good Gord

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833835 is a reply to message #833834 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 20:06

McDavid is lucky I guess. The stick rode down his jaw to his neck. Not a direct hit to take out all his teeth. Could have been so much worse.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833847 is a reply to message #833835 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 19:08

McDavid is lucky I guess. The stick rode down his jaw to his neck. Not a direct hit to take out all his teeth. Could have been so much worse.

I looked again closer.. look at the flex on the shaft.. that was a full force cross check..

Its also flexing in the direction of the long side of the shaft cross-section.. can you imagine the force required to flex a stick that in that direction? ..lucky McDavid didn't get his head/throat crushed.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2024 02:29]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Soucy & Zadorov attack on McDavid, and FLA goal [message #833866 is a reply to message #833847 ]
Tue, 14 May 2024 11:32 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 May 2024 02:25

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 19:08

I looked again closer.. look at the flex on the shaft.. that was a full force cross check..

Its also flexing in the direction of the long side of the shaft cross-section.. can you imagine the force required to flex a stick that in that direction? ..lucky McDavid didn't get his head/throat crushed.

What I find kind of ridiculous is how Tocchet talked about it after he was suspended.

"He didn't intend to hit him in the face, he was trying for his chest. But after Z cross checked him in the back, he went forward and got it in the face." The he goes off to mention how Z got cross checked after.

What I find really disturbing to a degree is how casual he is about what happened.

- Zad comes flying from behind McD wouldn't have seen him coming and drill him as hard as he can in the back with a cross check. That's a dirty play and you can really hurt someone doing that especially then they don't see it coming. Which I assume is why he got find, because it was completely blind siding him.

- McD slashed Soucy in the pants which is all padded. Soucy slashes him back. So that could have been the end of it. But Soucy goes a step further and decides he needs to drill McD with a cross check up high. Now I bet it's true, he was trying for the chest but still, why is your instinct to drill a person up high with your stick? Nothing good happens when you hit a guy with your stick up high on a persons body. It's dangerous.

- McD does go forward when he is drilled by Zad then takes Soucy's chest shot in the face, jaw and throat. That could have been really bad. Soucy wasn't just lifting his stick, as the pictures show, he was putting his full force into it. So he could have broken teeth, broke his jaw or worse, did damage to his throat which could be potentially life threatening.

So while I get Tocchet is older school and likes tough hockey, as a human being, you can't think trying to seriously injure another human over a game is OK. Whether it was intentional or not, your guy drilled a guy in the face with his stick. That's really dangerous.

Previous Topic:Attendance issues in Winnipeg?
Next Topic:2024 NHL Draft Lottery Results - Sharks #1
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca