Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   71%
Vancouver to win:   29%
14 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833738 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Pickard needs to start next game. Plain and simple

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833740 is a reply to message #833738 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 22:20

100%. Skinner is in zero confidence mode. There is no reason to keep playing him now. We've seen this show before.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833741 is a reply to message #833740 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

chicken-crap crosscheck on 97 after the whistle... icon_dead

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833743 is a reply to message #833741 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

watchman wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 21:26

chicken-crap crosscheck on 97 after the whistle... icon_dead

Took one to the back and head at same time. Bush league.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833742 is a reply to message #833740 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 01:25

100%. Skinner is in zero confidence mode. There is no reason to keep playing him now. We've seen this show before.

Well I suggested this not long ago and got put in my place because Skinner came back with 2 solid games. He’s since had 4 bad ones. I am suggesting it again - start Pickard.

I also got mocked for suggesting an unknown goalie could cause us problems. icon_rolleyes

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833744 is a reply to message #833742 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

I missed most of the game except the last goal. Disappointing Skinner is proving once again he doesn't get it done in the playoffs. I'm sorta scratching my head. Why wasn't this addressed the last 5 years?

Geez. I also didn't like the fact how many times this team was beat and out worked for the puck for the 10 minutes I watched of the first and last 10 of the game. It was 1-1 when I left. What happened?

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833751 is a reply to message #833740 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 22:25

Strong disagree. They can’t panic. Stick with what brought you and all that. Unless the coach thinks they absolutely cannot win with skinner AND Pickard is the guy who’ll win them the cup, then let’s go Jean luc! Come back Tuesday and earn the split at home.

One step closer to the prophesied Campbell redemption arc though, so that’s cool. I heard he had a good off season and AHL season.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833754 is a reply to message #833751 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 23:09

Strong disagree. They can’t panic. Stick with what brought you and all that. Unless the coach thinks they absolutely cannot win with skinner AND Pickard is the guy who’ll win them the cup, then let’s go Jean luc! Come back Tuesday and earn the split at home.

One step closer to the prophesied Campbell redemption arc though, so that’s cool. I heard he had a good off season and AHL season.

I don't think Skinner brought this team anywhere. 0.905 season. .885 career playoffs and managing to bring that lower this year.

We celebrate when he looks like a slightly above average starter which is maybe 50% of his season.

I don't read anything into the Kings series, we dominated them most of the time. He's melted down in 3 of his last 4 series in the net. Team just pulled him from interviews after tonight's game. This confidence is in tatters again.

Campbell's redemption probably has to happen in another org. Pickard or bust.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833756 is a reply to message #833754 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 22:13

I don't think Skinner brought this team anywhere. 0.905 season. .885 career playoffs and managing to bring that lower this year.

We celebrate when he looks like a slightly above average starter which is maybe 50% of his season.

I don't read anything into the Kings series, we dominated them most of the time. He's melted down in 3 of his last 4 series in the net. Team just pulled him from interviews after tonight's game. This confidence is in tatters again.

Campbell's redemption probably has to happen in another org. Pickard or bust.

Holland is out the door, so I can’t see Skinner being kept around by whoever takes over the GM pen. If he is going to reach another level it won’t be here. For better or worse. Will see if he has a Dubnyk or JDD career after.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833757 is a reply to message #833754 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yep. Pickard or bust at this point.

Unless it's shot right at Skinner, there's a good chance he's missing it right now.

Their third string goalie is massively outplaying Skinner... that's reason enough right there.

It sucks as I really like Stu, but the pressure is clearly getting to him.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833759 is a reply to message #833751 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I'd go back to Skinner again. I don't think Calvin Pickard is going to be a world beater in the playoffs. Nothing in his long history suggests we can expect that. So while I am really not thrilled with Skinner's play - and to be fair, there were no awful goals tonight, just no saves really, while the guy at the other end made many - I feel like he's the only one that might get hot enough to get us to the end.

In case anyone was wondering, Campbell didn't do well in the AHL playoffs. Got absolutely lit up for 5 goals on 35 shots. Condors played Rodrigue in the other game and he only allowed two on 33, but the team didn't overcome.

The thing is, against Vancouver, we just need adequate goaltending. The media wants to try to make Silovs a story, but he's let in 11 goals in 3 games. He's hardly bulletproof there. He's been better than Skinner, but that's it.

Fact is, if we play like that the rest of the series, we have a good chance of not losing again, no matter who the goalie is. But we need someone who can have a hot streak if we make the next round because either Dallas or Colorado will be tough.

Some other thoughts - the Oilers need to do some systems adjustments on breakouts. They too often are surrendering the puck at our blueline. Often when they do get it out, it's just a give away to the far blueline. Less of a problem in the second half of the night when the Canucks barely forechecked, but when they're coming, it's an issue.

The Canucks breakout seems mostly to be a high flip which they try to skate in to - they must have done it 15-20 times tonight. It's again something the Oilers should be adapting towards. We've struggled with getting in to their zone too - especially when McD isn't on the ice.

The team also is going to have to figure out how to score at even strength. That PP is amazing, but we need to at least be dangerous in order to draw more penalties. We're getting perimeter play, but we may need to bang in a couple greasy ones to knock the horseshoe out of Silovs hindquarters.

Reffing was dreadful again. It must be super frustrating trying to figure out what you can and can't get away with. There had to be 60 cross-checks tonight and the three they called were hardly the most egregious. Four I guess - they did give Soucy one after the final buzzer, but that's a whole different story. They ignore ridiculous stuff, and then they call a ticky tack one. The interference on Draisaitl was the same...weak weak call, and then they allow it on virtually every faceoff, with some having a Canucks player literally pull down the guy lined up across from him. It's stupid. Get it together NHL.

I actually think the suspension at the end should be for Zadorov. He's the third man in, hitting an unsuspecting player from behind and putting him in peril as a result. After the final buzzer too. I'd give him a game, but I don't have the Parros Wheel-o-Justice here. I suspect they'll think that post-game minor will really teach him a lesson. There's just no other sports league in the world that is totally fine with a couple of plugs gooning the best player in the sport. It's bush league.

Final thought? It's just one game and one we deserved a better fate in. Come back, play like that again, win the next three and get rid of these chumps. Teach them a lesson for trying to cheapshot our superstar.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833761 is a reply to message #833759 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 00:43

I actually think the suspension at the end should be for Zadorov. He's the third man in, hitting an unsuspecting player from behind and putting him in peril as a result. After the final buzzer too. I'd give him a game, but I don't have the Parros Wheel-o-Justice here. I suspect they'll think that post-game minor will really teach him a lesson. There's just no other sports league in the world that is totally fine with a couple of plugs gooning the best player in the sport. It's bush league.

Final thought? It's just one game and one we deserved a better fate in. Come back, play like that again, win the next three and get rid of these chumps. Teach them a lesson for trying to cheapshot our superstar.

This is the playbook though. The truth is there isn't a team in the league that can stop 29 and 97 in an actual hockey game. Vegas showed everyone the way last year. It's perfectly acceptable to fly across the ice in the last minute of a game to lumberjack chop the best player in the world to turn the tide in a series. You don't think Tochet knows this? Or Zadorov? Everyone knows it now.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833760 is a reply to message #833751 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Same as last year - they have to keep playing Skinner because if not it will look like they're panicking. Or if they don't play him it will ruin his confidence and he'll never be the same. All while he crumbles again and again in big moments.

It's like he's so untouchable and solidified as this bonafide starter that he has to start every game - but also so fragile that he couldn't possibly come back and do his job if, god forbid, he got benched for a game.

I have no idea if Pickard can win them a Stanley Cup, but I have zero confidence that Skinner can.

I'd definitely start Pickard in game 4. They can't keep sewering the team based on this desire to justify the misplaced confidence in Skinner.

It will be interesting to see if/when he is done with the Oilers what he becomes. I'm not convinced he's a starter anywhere else in the league - certainly not on a playoff team - let alone a team with 29 and 97.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833762 is a reply to message #833760 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 05:20

Same as last year - they have to keep playing Skinner because if not it will look like they're panicking. Or if they don't play him it will ruin his confidence and he'll never be the same. All while he crumbles again and again in big moments.

It's like he's so untouchable and solidified as this bonafide starter that he has to start every game - but also so fragile that he couldn't possibly come back and do his job if, god forbid, he got benched for a game.

I have no idea if Pickard can win them a Stanley Cup, but I have zero confidence that Skinner can.

I'd definitely start Pickard in game 4. They can't keep sewering the team based on this desire to justify the misplaced confidence in Skinner.

It will be interesting to see if/when he is done with the Oilers what he becomes. I'm not convinced he's a starter anywhere else in the league - certainly not on a playoff team - let alone a team with 29 and 97.

He's in his mode where everything that doesn't just hit him goes in. Having to react, having to move quickly to either side, and it'll likely be in. His "bounce back" would simply be us playing perfect defense and him just being able to win acting like a table hockey goalie.

This org so badly wants him to succeed, so wouldn't be surprised if we start him again. Our players better be ready to play the game of their lives.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833763 is a reply to message #833760 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It's the same as last year in that there isn't a better option waiting, the chances against are being allowed by the defense, and the offense is getting shutdown by playoff hockey.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Skinner, but he's the best option. We're getting to the point of last call, sitting Skinner out of a lack of a better and trusting Pickard (or god forbid Campbell with the season) is not the best path forward. I'd put Skinner on a short leash now. 2 goals in the first period again and he's out, probably for the series.

That being said if they start Pickard and win, the coach looks brilliant. If they lose though... I just don't see a plan b that doesn't say it's already over.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833785 is a reply to message #833763 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 08:33

It's the same as last year in that there isn't a better option waiting, the chances against are being allowed by the defense, and the offense is getting shutdown by playoff hockey.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Skinner, but he's the best option. We're getting to the point of last call, sitting Skinner out of a lack of a better and trusting Pickard (or god forbid Campbell with the season) is not the best path forward. I'd put Skinner on a short leash now. 2 goals in the first period again and he's out, probably for the series.

That being said if they start Pickard and win, the coach looks brilliant. If they lose though... I just don't see a plan b that doesn't say it's already over.

They did have a better option last year. The guy who was allowing fewer pucks to go into the net was a better option. They decided that the more important things was to give skinner all the starts. I wouldn't recommend the same approach this year.

Do you think it's likely pickard will be worse than Skinner? And if he somehow miraculously manages to do that then you go back to skinner. Why is that so controversial? I honestly can't believe we are doing this again. I guess we will see how it plays out.

I don't really see the offense being shut down by playoff hockey. They are scoring and generating a ton of chances. Just not necessarily the amount you need when you roll out nurse, skinner etc in the playoffs. But you're right, the offense is basically just a testament to how good 29 and 97 are. Ideally you would have other players showing up and making things happen but as long as those two are healthy they'll generate. How long will that be? Probably not long. The formula is pretty clear.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833787 is a reply to message #833785 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 10:10

Do you think it's likely pickard will be worse than Skinner?

Yes. I haven't seen anything from the Oilers to suggest they've fixed the defensive issues that have plagued them since Pronger. 4 goals last night. 2 were on the pk, 2 were on open shots from inside the faceoff dot. If they lose tomorrow, sure, roll the dice and hope to get lucky. That's the problem, we're back AGAIN to hoping to get lucky.

Vancouver is a low shot team. Last in shots / game in the playoffs, 26th in the regular season. They take good shots. It's up to the defense and defensive system to limit their high probability shots. So far this year. 6/7 overall and 3/4 since Knoblach took over the Canucks have figured out the Oilers D.

Do you think Pickard solves this problem?

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833790 is a reply to message #833787 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 13:30

Yes...Do you think Pickard solves this problem?

How much worse? I respect your belief that Skinner would be better than Pickard. You're probably right. But you might not be.

What I do believe, is that Pickard has a greater chance to go on a hot streak. Based on nothing more than wishful thinking and fairy dust maybe - but I give him better odds than one of the worst playoff goalies of all time.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833791 is a reply to message #833790 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 10:45

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 13:30

Yes...Do you think Pickard solves this problem?

How much worse? I respect your belief that Skinner would be better than Pickard. You're probably right. But you might not be.

What I do believe, is that Pickard has a greater chance to go on a hot streak. Based on nothing more than wishful thinking and fairy dust maybe - but I give him better odds than one of the worst playoff goalies of all time.

What I really wish is that the Oilers had tested out more than 5 goalies over the last 5 years (excluding former Sherwood Park Crusader Matt Berlin).

If it's Pickard SZN, so be it.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833793 is a reply to message #833787 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 10:30

Do you think Pickard solves this problem?

No definitely not. But I don't think he has to. He just has to make 1 or 2 big saves or make the routine saves at big moments.

I think it's very likely that he can do that more consistently than Skinner and that might be enough.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833768 is a reply to message #833760 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Jay wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 08:20

That's where I am at. I want to believe he can be the guy, but he has had far more stinkers than average games, let alone great games.

The sample size is now a bit bigger. 20 games. Of the 57 goalies who have played 20 or more playoff games in the cap era, Skinner is dead last by a big margin in both save % (.881) and GAA (3.49). 2nd worst are Nabokov with .901, and Theodore with 3.05.

Pickard on the other hand is one of 9 goalies in NHL history with perfect goalie stats of 1.000 and 0.00 icon_biggrin

Kidding aside - I don't know if Pickard can win a series let alone a Cup, but I don't have much faith left in Skinner anymore. Neither guy has much of a regular season resume - both around the same number of games played over their career (though Pickard over a much longer period obviously). Pickard did quite well as a backup to start his career with the Avs, but over the last 6 years just bounced around with not much playing time. Both guys have done decent in recent years in the AHL, but I don't put much stock in that. This past year, Pickard had better counting numbers than Skinner, but admittedly playing softer competition.

Personally, I would start Pickard with an incredibly short leash. and see what happens. Worst case he does like Skinner and doesn't stop anything where he needs to move. Best case, he goes on a heater.

We're not talking about replacing prime Hasek or Brodeur here. This is essentially a 2nd year goalie with, IMHO, more bad playoff games than good. And literally the worst stats in the cap era of any goalie who has played as much as him.

How many people thought Adin Hill would win Vegas a Cup after Thompson and Brossoit went down? He was basically Pickard last year - a bit younger, but very similar numbers.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833746 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Canucks barely did anything after they got their 2 goal lead. Played like we tried to do in game 1. Only their goalie made saves.

Posts for us too of course. Once again choking on a 3rd stringer. It's wide, needless pass, posts or crest. Choked pretty hard on the late PP's too. Everyone working in slow motion. Really needed one of those to only need 1 at the end.

Hope McDavid is OK. that was a brutal cross check in the mouth after the buzzer.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 May 2024 22:36]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833747 is a reply to message #833746 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 23:34

Canucks barely did anything after they got their 2 goal lead. Played like we tried to do in game 1. Only their goalie made saves.

Posts for us too of course. Once again choking on a 3rd stringer. It's wide, needless pass, posts or crest. Choked pretty hard on the late PP's too. Everyone working in slow motion. Really needed one of those to only need 1 at the end.

Hope McDavid is OK. that was a brutal cross check in the mouth after the buzzer.

Very unlucky posts in the 1st two periods...Silovs was shaky & vulnerable first two periods...and Oilers couldn't capitalize. Will give Silovs this though...he shut it down 3rd period with a great performance.

Secondary lines still generating chances...no dice yet though. Might be a good time to drop #29 to second line and heck maybe even Nuge to 3rd line splitting up the big guns.

As for Skinner? That 2nd period goal was a backbreaker...though the Oilers basically let him out to dry in the 1st so I can't blame him too much. Still a better idea to insert Pickard in for the next game though.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833749 is a reply to message #833747 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 22:45

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 May 2024 23:34

Very unlucky posts in the 1st two periods...Silovs was shaky & vulnerable first two periods...and Oilers couldn't capitalize. Will give Silovs this though...he shut it down 3rd period with a great performance.

Secondary lines still generating chances...no dice yet though. Might be a good time to drop #29 to second line and heck maybe even Nuge to 3rd line splitting up the big guns.

As for Skinner? That 2nd period goal was a backbreaker...though the Oilers basically let him out to dry in the 1st so I can't blame him too much. Still a better idea to insert Pickard in for the next game though.

Want to cheer for Skinner, but it's so clear when his confidence is shaken. Maybe he pulls out a win if we play spot on defensively and stuff is hitting him all night, but he becomes a ticking time bomb that goes off as soon as the other team gets some quality chances and makes him have to move to make saves.

I can't see this version of Skinner ever making it past an elite team behind this D group. Probably have to just swing for the fences and hope we get some goalie underdog magic going out way with Pickard.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833750 is a reply to message #833749 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I gave Skinner a pass last year because I thought the team exhausted him riding him all the way to playoffs. But it appears he’s just hit his ceiling and can’t take us to the next level. If the goal is past the second round then we need someone better.

Same sentiment for forwards outside of 97/29… we need them to contribute and they aren’t adding anything.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833753 is a reply to message #833750 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

That first period killed us, the first line looked gassed and devoid of ideas, which seemingly went through the whole team. We lost the man for the second goal and turned over the puck for the third, yeah Skinner will want a couple back, but we can't be giving them chances like that and not expect them to score.

Drai had a couple of break aways and if I asked everyone who expected him to score on them, most of us would have said yeah. The players just didn't help themselves, and weren't helped by the officials either.

It's time to regroup and go again as we did in the last game.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833748 is a reply to message #833746 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...a whole bunch of problems are correctable...
Skinner out / Pickard in : at worst Picks will be as bad as Skinner

Turnovers to the middle in our own zone... would like to think 37 won't do THAT again

Posts... if even half of those turn into goals next game, OIL win.

Bottom 6 scoring: they have to get one sooner or later. Next game would be nice.

...that said. It's GO time now.

(and those idiots in stripes can't be back, can they?)

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833758 is a reply to message #833748 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

McLeod needs to do so much more than he is right now. It's literally a public skate session for the guy every time he hits the ice.

Hit someone. Do something of note.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833752 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

F.B. McLeod (Fly By), Foegle, RNH .. absolutely no jam.. a 38 year old Corey Perry brings more intensity.. do these guys actually realize they're playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs?

That being said,, Rooney's thumb on the rule book really tipped the scales.. embarrassing calls.. he's always been a clown..

Skinner just isn't making saves .. its become calamitous.. Pickard is looking like a safer option.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833755 is a reply to message #833752 ]
Sun, 12 May 2024 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

IMHO, the biggest mistake that Woodcroft made last playoffs was not starting Campbell against the knights when Skinner was obviously starting to lose his confidence. Campbell came in and stole the show. Let’s not make that mistake twice.

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833764 is a reply to message #833755 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I said to start the series, for the Canucks to win, they needed breaks and Skinner to lose the Oilers games.

- 5 posts. As good as Silovs has been, he got beat clean 5 more times last night and they missed by an inch. Perry should have had a goal. The puck was going over the line. The pocket where the puck sits was over the line, it's not sitting in the palm of the glove, it's in the pocket. So it's a goal. But they can't see the puck in the glove so no goal. Another break. With all the technology they have in the world, cars that can drive themselves, how they can't put a sensor in the line or something to prove it's a goal is a mystery to me. So the Canucks are getting a ton of breaks, the Oilers none.

- Skinner has been out goaltended. First couple of games, he let in multiple bad goals. Last night the first 3 goals were good looks. The 4th goal was a weird goal where Lindholm was standing on the puck and managed to kick it to his stick without falling then jam it in. As a goalie, you aren't expecting that but at some point you need your goalie to make a freaking save. They can't all just be routine. No matter how good defensively you are, or how good your dmen are, they can't stop every shot, they are going to give up a few grade A's. You need your goalie to stop something and Skinner hasn't.

On top of that. Depth scoring is gone. I have been called out of touch and a Neanderthal in my thinking of how hockey should be played. Hockey in the regular season now is all about speed and skill. It's not tough, nasty or physical. Playoffs hockey is prison rules. It's physical, nasty and cheap. To score a goal, you have to go to the net and be prepared to be beat on. So in my opinion, and here comes my Neanderthal thinking, the reason the Oilers depth scoring dries up is because there are too many players who make up their depth who will not play playoff hockey. They will not play with any kind of physicality, they will not with any kind of edge and will not go to the net because they know they will pay the price.

- McLeod - He has 40 playoff games under his belt and he has 3 goals, 9 pts. He hasn't scored a single goal in his last 20 playoff games. He as a ton of skill and speed that works great in the regular season. But in the playoffs when interference, hooking and holding are allowed and you have to pay a price to get anywhere close to a shooting spot, he's invisible. He is great defensively but a winning team can't have a guy as your 3rd line center or even a winger scared to play playoff hockey.

- Foegele. He has the size and speed where he should excel in the playoffs. There is no reason why that guy shouldn't be a wrecking ball. He doesn't do it. He disappears. On top of that, he can be proned to the 5 star, brutal give away like last night.

None of those 2 get PP time so they will not score much in the playoffs because it has to be 5 on 5 scoring and 5 on 5 scoring requires you to pay a price.

- Nuge. I said it before. Longest serving Oiler, supposedly wants to win, he's a guy that NEEDS to step up. He doesn't. Nuge's production (assists) is supplemented by how much PP time he gets. He tends to be the first touch on the PP to McD who sets someone else up. Take away his PP time and he hardly scores. 11 pts last year 9 PP assists. 9 pts this year, 6 on the pp including his only goal which was an unreal pass by Leon for a tap in. Last 20 playoff games, 2 goals. Not even close to enough. Nuge gets his points on the PP where the hockey is different 5 on 5. You don't have to pay a price to get looks because the other team protects the net and on the PP, Nuge passes it to McD then watches him do his thing.

All 3 of those guys are very good regular season players but when the playoffs start and the hockey gets nasty, they don't step up.

Kane also needs to pick it up. He doesn't shy away from the nasty hockey, he does well in it but this year, he needs to bury some of his chances. They need him too.

There is the Oilers depth scoring. Those 4 are the main ones who need to chip in. Henrique was also supposed to help with that, unfortunately he's been hurt. But the 4 guys I listed above are vets with all but Kane having never stepped up in the playoffs.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833783 is a reply to message #833764 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 08:42

I have been called out of touch and a Neanderthal in my thinking

just... wow.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833804 is a reply to message #833764 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

No Cups

When I heard Henrique was going to miss the game. I was concerned. He isn't an offensive star at this point in his career but he is a veteran and gives this team defensive depth it needs imo.

I think Skinner has worked himself out of the starting spot.

Too many players have disappeared in this series.

I constantly see an easy exit that isn't made due to lack of diligence imo. Vancouver will bite, cheat and steal like an 1980's team out there. I thought we turned the corner in game 2 with the effort. This team needs to dig deep and get to the greasy areas and pay the price.

The 80's team had to learn that from the Islanders. When will this team learn that? 30 peripheral shots means eff all and it's easy for a goalie. It's the greasy goal in front that playoff teams make imo

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833786 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 29 April 2024 08:51

How are some who were worried about Skinner after game 2 feeling now?

A poster in here said after his 14 career playoff games, he was almost the worst playoff goalie in the NHL since the early 2000's.

After the 2 games in LA where he gave up 1 goal, 2.48 and .919. So that's good right?

donkey

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833792 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

We can talk about the reffing - doesn't matter in the end. Can't change what hasn't been called or not called. In the playoffs it is what it is.

The Oilers are not going with with the rely on the Big 2 and everyone just kind of watches. Scoring 5x5 has been a problem for this team throughout the season and it's showing up in this series too. Silvos isn't a world beater, he's beatable but he's made the saves he needs to at the right time. Skinner hasn't. His glove hand is getting worse by the game. Skinner can make a 5 bell save from time to time, but Silvos can do it on the regular. Putting in Pickard should only be necessary if you let in 4 goals on 12 shots. Skinner will get in next game but a short leash should be given.

The Canucks are playing barn burner hockey and are like dogs on a bone while the Oilers have increased their intensity, however it is no where near the Canucks approach.

The key to winning tomorrow is scoring 5x5, don't do that well then the series is over. Sorry but true. So far 5x5 has been sliding at the wrong time and we have a lot of puck watchers not enough people who can put the puck in the net.

It's now or never or they are done.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833798 is a reply to message #833792 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It's only 2-1 and I still think the Oilers have been the better team every game so they can/will win the series but I admit, I am a touch worried as it's starting to feel like the Vegas.

Oilers dominate most of the game. The other team gets a ton of bounces while the Oilers get very few. They play reasonably well defensive (only gave up 18 shots last night) but have a couple of lapses with really bad mistakes that always end up in their net. The other teams goalie makes a few key saves at key times while the Oilers goalie cant.

I hope the team has got their yips out of them because all it will take is a few small tweaks and the Oilers can steamroll them. I hope they do it.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833799 is a reply to message #833798 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 May 2024 15:43

It's only 2-1 and I still think the Oilers have been the better team every game so they can/will win the series but I admit, I am a touch worried as it's starting to feel like the Vegas.

Oilers dominate most of the game. The other team gets a ton of bounces while the Oilers get very few. They play reasonably well defensive (only gave up 18 shots last night) but have a couple of lapses with really bad mistakes that always end up in their net. The other teams goalie makes a few key saves at key times while the Oilers goalie cant.

I hope the team has got their yips out of them because all it will take is a few small tweaks and the Oilers can steamroll them. I hope they do it.

Agreed. We've been the better team all series, just not getting any saves when needed, or any bounces going our way. REALLY need someone outside of that first line to step up too, as we can't keep playing McDavid & company 30 mins a night.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833800 is a reply to message #833731 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

People mad at Skinner coming up with funny stats. Like lowest games completed in NHL history for a goalie with 20+ playoff starts. Similar chance to be pulled as him having a .900+ game in playoffs. Same chance for him to be pulled as letting in less than 3 goals.

Sadly he is probably gonna be set up to be the most hated guy in town if he does play and we end up losing the series.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #833812 is a reply to message #833800 ]
Mon, 13 May 2024 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

:(

Meghan Chayka @MeghanChayka
Stuart Skinner has allowed 12 goals in the first 3 games of the 2nd Round Series vs Canucks.

7 of the 12 have been on low-quality shot attempts on net (less than 5% goal probability at time of release).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNeyzwZWIAIOKHW?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca